Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Presentation on Map Reduce Merge

I gave a presentation yesterday (here is the powerpoint slides) and I am writing this blog to just jot down things I have learnt.:
  1. I need to improve my grammar. The best thing to do is give a practice talk before your presentation.
  2. It is very important to add all the references in your presentation.
  3. If the paper is about a system, always add big picture describing the modules and their interactions.
  4. If possible try to prepare for a demo to get people excited about the topic.
  5. Always be sure of what you tell in the presentation. If you don't know something, say that "I don't know or I am not sure of it".
In the flow of talk, I said "As a database researcher" when I meant to say "As a database person". It seemed pompous at that time and somehow I preferred not to correct it at that time. But in retrospective as I think about it, I am a database researcher, may be not a good one and definitely not an established one. But still, I spent considerable time of my daily time doing research and I believe that qualifies me to be a "researcher".

No comments: