Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Preparing a new Windows machine

I am writing this mail to serve as backup in case I have to create a fresh installation.

I recently purchased a new laptop: Lenovo U350 for following reasons:
cheap ($600 + tax because of a coupon), extremely light (around 4 pound), no CD/DVD drive (which makes it light. Also, I have rarely used it on my previous laptops and it seemed to be dead weight), 13" laptop (another reason why it's light, also 13" is almost about the right size between netbook and 15" laptop), 8 cell battery (with netbook like power-saving circuit, which makes the battery last "really" long), core 2 duo + 320 GB HDD + 4GB RAM (for my programming needs), VGA output (to connect to projector for presentations), other useful accessories (HDMI (to connect to my home TV), 3USB slots, kensington lock slot, webcam, mic/headphone slot, card reader)

I have an iPhone 3Gs + a ubuntu machine (another reason I did not want a CD/DVD drive on my laptop) in office. So, I have installed following "free" softwares on new Windows 7 machine:
1. Java: JDK, Netbeans, Eclipse
2. Reader / Writer: Openoffice (for doc), Latex (Miktex, Texnicenter), Adobe Reader (for reading pdfs), PDF X-Change Viewer (for marking/highlighting pdfs), CutePDF (for creating PDF), GSView (for PS), DJVU Viewer
3. Educational: Mendeley (for maintaining my bibliography), Sciplore (for mindmaps -> Using PDF X-Change I can create a printable version of my mindmap)
4. Synchronization: Evernote (for notes), Dropbox + TortoiseSVN (for documents), Firefox + Xmarks (for bookmarks)
5. Fun: VLC, Divx, Real player, Adobe Flash, iTunes
6. Communication: GTalk, Zimbra (for managing my Personal + Rice mails) ... Since I don't chat much I didnot install Yahoo Messenger and Skype.
7. Protection: AVG Antivirus, Zone Alarm Firewall, Also created a restore point using Lenovo's once click software
8. Others: R, WinSCP, Putty (Also will install Magic Disc in case I have to work with CD/DVD image)

I also use Toodledo (for my TODO list) and Eternity (for time logging) on my iPhone.

No comments: